Tuesday, March 3, 2009

chapter 2 (continued)

"Ed...ward," I tried catching my breath, "you are too incredible for my body to handle. You nearly destroyed my ability to stand!" I took a deep breath and rested my head in his chest. "That was amazing. I love you."

"I love you, too, darling."

I never wanted this to end.

After Edward insisted that he washed me himself, which was inexplicably enjoyable, I dried up, got dressed, and skipped downstairs to find Edward sitting in the center of our bed. I crawled into his arms and let him hold on against his icy chest for a while. His palm made its way to my chest, right over my heart. He kept it there and stared at his something way beyond his fingers.

“What is it, Edward?” I asked. I looked up to see his beautiful face. It was frozen in place by a disgusted expression.

“Your heart.” He looked into my eyes. “The sound of your heart –it’s the most significant sound in my world. And every moment I’m with you makes me believe that my heart is going to start beating again… for you. For only you. It kills me that it never will.”

“Sweetheart… my lovely, annoying, sexy, unbelievable sweetheart. Sometimes I think you don’t have a brain.” I joked.

He looked down ashamed. Stubborn vampire I tell you.

“Look at me.” I lifted his chin with my thumb and pointer finger. “Are you aware of what happens to me when I’m near you? Do you have any idea what you put my body through? All of the deep breaths and high blood pressure. The exaggerated exhales and the lip-biting. Are you aware of any of that, mister vampire?” I was smiling by this point, but still serious.

He whispered, “I am aware of all of it, Stephanie. Every beat and every breath.”

“My body doesn’t react that way for no reason.” I held his hand in mine, over my chest. We now both felt the quick thudding.

“My heart, it’s beating for you, too, Edward.”

I kissed him and he cradled me in his arms again, rocking me back and forth.

My fingers lightly traced the sharp definitions of his chest and abdomen. My lips met the skin of his collarbone and my hips moved a little against him. Edward froze and pulled my arms back. One look into his eyes told me everything.

They were pitch black.

“Edward, I’m sorry…” I backed up and made sure not to touch him.

He frowned furiously. “It’s my fault. I’ve been distracted that I forgot to hunt. You should try to sleep. You look tired, love.” He faked a mocking yawn.

I yawned. Damn mirror neurons. Edward laid me down and covered me with the softest white covers. He moved my hair behind my ear and tucked it there. His lips pressed into the thin skin of my temples and my unconscious came washing over me.


I awoke a few hours later. It was still dark out. I rolled over and my hand landed on a note.

Stephanie, love,

I have gone hunting on the mainland just north of here.

I hope you don’t wake before I get back, but if you happen
to, know that I will be back shortly and I’m missing you more
and more with every minute that drags by.

I love you.

Edward


I sat up in the bed to observe my surroundings. I was always anxious when Edward wasn’t beside me as I slept. Somehow, I was always aware of his cool presence even when I was lost in dream world. Maybe that’s why I woke up. Then something caught my eye. A faint red light quickly circled the walls of the room. I heard the faint voices of two men talking outside the double glass doors. One of them was Edward. I would never mistake his voice. I shuffled to my feet and wrapped my robe around me. As I slowly slid open the door, my eyes glared to the scene in front of me.

There on the shoreline, were police boats, a police helicopter, and lights of sirens flashing in every direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment