Tuesday, March 3, 2009

chapter 2

Within the depths of my slumber, my mind wandered. I found myself running on a long endless highway. There were no cars except for one, stopped on the horizon. It was a silver pick-up truck. The road was inclined, so running became a strenuous act, but my legs didn’t show any sign of strain. I felt the Earth under the soles of my bare feet being pushed backward, as I struggled toward the car. But no matter how long I ran, I barely got closer. It was frustrating. It was as if I had been running on a treadmill. As fast as my legs sprinted, I never got anywhere. But I never gave up. I was determined to reach that horizon, to reach that car, but I kept tripping. Landing on my knees didn’t hurt at all, I got right back up and started running again, only to trip once more. It was a continuous cycle of running and falling. Running and falling. . .

Consciousness slowly materialized on my eyes. I think I was awake now. I was curled up in the fetal position, a ball of skin and bones wrapped tightly in a maze of blankets. There was something else near me. Cold and still, except for one finger I felt wipe a tear that was escaping from the corner of my eye. It was Edward. I opened my eyes and his face was inches from mine and he was stunning. Though it had been years, I was still utterly shocked at the fact that I wasn’t dreaming. Edward was here with me. The morning sun transformed my moonlit miracle into a shimmering statue. His hair was messy, I loved it. My hand looked for openings in the covers I was buried in, and in its attempt to find one, was greeted by something cold and inviting, his hand. We intertwined fingers and I let out a sigh as I smiled and yawned myself awake, stretching.

“Good morning, sleepy head!” In a flash Edward’s lips were greeting my face with a morning kiss. His energy was a pleasant surprise. He jumped up, propping himself on his knees by my feet, moving his fingers up and down my legs. “I made your favorite breakfast.”

“Are you going to stick yourself inside an English muffin?”

He chuckled and his eyes sparkled. “My silly, love.” He leaned over my body and kissed my nose. When he began to get up again, I grabbed his arms in a feeble attempt to keep him on top of me. I wasn’t done kissing him. He knew what I wanted. When his body was shadowing me, his lips moved straight to mine. A tiny growl escaped from the insides of my stomach. It's embarrassing when the person you’re with never has to eat. He quietly laughed and kissed my neck. Edward was always good at being a step ahead, so with one swift movement I was in his arms being carried to the kitchen. He placed me down on a high stool with a cushioned back. My personal chef handed me my breakfast.

“Bacon and eggs. Scrambled. Side of toast with a little bit of butter. And a tall glass of orange juice with 2 ice cubes.” His cool white hands crawled over mine and he looked into my eyes. “I hope you like it.”

I took a bit of everything. With my mouth full, I muttered, “I love it!”

“Good.” He smiled.

“It’s my second favorite.”

“What’s your first favorite?”

“Breakfast in bed.”

He looked confused. “Would you like me to carry you back to bed and serve you there, sweetheart?”

“No, no. I mean-” Why was I explaining this? “Breakfast in bed.” I said it this time with more emphasis and suggestion.

I could almost see the light bulb on top of his head being switched on. He walked behind me and slowly wrapped his arms around my waist. I then felt his cool breath on my neck, “Maybe tomorrow morning you’ll get your favorite.” His fingers drew lines up and down my arms. I turned and kissed him. He whispered “I love you” in my ear and kissed it, too. Suddenly, I wasn’t hungry for my food anymore. But it was nine in the morning. I needed to take breaks.

“I love you, too.” I said as I exhaled.


We spent the days doing everything together. Everything. We went snorkeling, scuba diving, water-skiing, wake-boarding, jet-skiing, and any other outdoor water activity you can think of. Edward was a professional at all of them. I watched him as his movements seemed to defy the laws of physics. When it was my turn, he persuaded me that it was easy. HA. It took me two seconds to lose balance on the water skis and fall backwards into the water, my legs swinging over my head. I heard his laughter from under the water. Then suddenly his arms were my life saver and I was on the boat. When he put me down, he arched his back and held his chest, and his laughter echoed through the sky. Stupid, shiny water god.

Despite my pathetic attempts at water sports, I was having the time of my life. It made the hours go by a lot quicker than I wished. I wanted time to drag, to take every second with pure attention.

The sky was a brilliant shade of dark blue. Some light spilled over the horizon, it was twilight. I was lying between his legs on the sand against his chest. His arms supported his weight behind him. His legs seemed to lengthen with every glance my eyes gave. My feet only reached his knees, it seemed. I felt him nibble my neck.

“I probably taste like salt.”

“You taste wonderful, love.” Did I hear him hiss?

“You know, Edward, I was thinking of something.”

His nose drew a line from my shoulder to my neck and then down my back a little. “Yes, love,” he breathed into my skin. His nose repeated that movement in the opposite direction.
I continued fighting the urge to turn my body over onto his and throw my tongue down his throat. I had to behave with my new vampire husband. Then again maybe what I was about to suggest was pushing the limits.

“Well, I feel terribly self-conscious whenever I have to take my human-moments. So I was thinking, maybe you can join me in one. I don’t see any harm in showering together.” My head was down and my eyes shut in anticipation for his reaction. I was embarrassed to even ask this question, but it was a desire I was not ready to ignore.

I was about to sit up to face him when two cold hands clutched my arms and crushed me to an answer. I felt his arousal pierce into my back. His lips, in shock, met the back of my neck again. “I would LOVE to shower with you. I have only one rule.” His fingers swayed across the flesh of my arm.

“What is it?” I whispered.

“I do all the work.”

Before I could account for his words, I was in his arms, heading for the house.


I turned the shower on and waited for the water to boil. Hot showers were always necessary for me. Now that Edward would be in there with me, the water would have to be a couple of degrees warmer. I stood in front of the mirror while the steam slowly drifted out from above the frosted glass door, masking the ceiling in a think cloud. My shoulders were a golden brown and the skin right under my eyes looked like rose petals.

Okay, Stephanie. Behave yourself in there.

What could happen? It's just a shower. A nice, relaxing shower with Edward. How dangerous could that be? I just have to remember not to get too ahead of myself. Okay, so no biting, no reaching for anything. I'll just look up the whole time and glue my hands to my head. When I snapped out of my anxious rambling, my hands were shaking. Minutes were passing when I realized that the mirror had fogged up to the point where I couldn't even see my reflection. Then his hands found mine. And something was cold on my back.

His naked body.

"Are you ready, love?" He was gently tugging my hands to follow him.

I gathered my thoughts and blushed. "Are you sure you'll be fine? I hate seeing you in pain of any kind..." I remember him telling me that when human skin is damp or wet, the scent of their blood is much stronger.

He lowered his face to the hollow of my throat and gently swept his cool lips against my skin. "You have nothing..." He slid my towel off my body and his lips trailed downward, moving smoothly over the supple plains of my chest. "...to worry..." He slowly rose back up and pressed his lips to mine and released. "...about."

Well, I was about to fall to my knees from lack of strength and coherency when his arms, as always, caught me. My eyes closed; I loved being this close to him. He stepped into the steaming shower and placed me down on my feet. I felt the hot water massage my back, soaking into me. I arched my neck back and let my hair enjoy it. I had not opened my eyes yet. I started to raise my hands to lather my hair in with the water when I felt his hands catch mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment